When do you need to contact a Structural Engineer, Biomechanical Engineer or OSHA Consultant?


Daniel Honig, PE – Structural Engineer
Robert Nobilini, Ph.D. – Biomechanical Engineer
Jon Pina, MS, CSP – OSHA Consultant


Plaintiff entered building to inquire about a trailer that was for sale and he fell on the steps. Witnesses say he had a heart attack, fell and then continued tumbling down. Coroner listed the major cause of death as trauma from falling down, not a heart attack. A structural engineer was needed regarding design / code issues with the existing stairwell.

Claimant tripped and fell; breaking her jaw. She claimed the injuries came from a fall on the insured’s property. The insured claims that her broken jaw could not have happened from this type of fall; but instead, the claimant’s boyfriend hit her and broke her jaw. A biomechanical engineer was needed to determine cause of injury.

Attorney represented the grain mill company where the plaintiff, welding contractor, worked and was injured in a propane gas explosion. The area was claimed to be a “confined space” under OSHA regulations. Questions arose, and a consultant was brought in to ascertain whether or not “hot work” permits were required to be issued to the plaintiff.


To speak with our consultants, or review their Curriculum Vitae, please contact Joy Falk or Yaisa Freeman at 800-332-6273.

Categories: Case Studies


Have A Question About This Article or Want to Contact the Expert?

Request An Expert

Fill out the form below so we may refer an expert

Do you have a question for us? We’re here to help!

James Schmidt Expert Spotlight